Saturday, March 29, 2008

Sorry But I Can't Stop Now

Stopping the story where I did left me needing to continue. I do hope you are all reading from the beginning and not backwards...it will mean so much more done in the right order. I also want you to know that I am not mentioning any names or any locations, and I am not going to go into any personal details. Hopefully the generalities will get the message across without bringing anyone else into my story. This is about Jesus, and what He did for me. What He is still doing for me. Anyone else in this story has their own story to tell if and when they so desire to do so, but I won't do it for them.

The very next incident that impressed itself on my heart was that an angel knocked on my door one day. I didn't know he was an angel until later and in actuality he may be a real human, but in my mind he will always be an angel. Anyway, this guy knocked on my door. We lived out in the country, just on the edge of town, but still in the country. I answered the door to hear him tell me he thought our barn was on fire. I didn't believe him but went outside with him to check. Sure enough there was a thin line of fire on one wall, part of the ceiling and part of the floor that was on fire. I asked him if he could help me because I had puppies in the other side of the barn that needed to be gotten out quickly and I had to go call the fire department. While I made the call, he brought the puppies in the house for me. When I turned around to thank him he was gone. Just like that. His pickup truck was gone. He was gone.
He was the angel. The fire department on the other hand couldn't find our house. I gave them the address and they ended up about 2-3 miles down the road trying to find it. That is 2-3 miles further out of town than we were. They never even drove past our house to get to where they realized they were lost. I am sure it was the smoke spiraling to the sky that alerted them to turn around and head back to town. By the time they got there, the only thing they could do was control the fire so it would not spread to the house and nearby shed.
We were not country folks. We didn't understand the ins and outs of farmers and such. What we found out too late was that the barn was very under-insured and we had no way to rebuild. We didn't need a barn. But the insurance money wasn't even enough to cover building another building for the dog kennel business I wanted to start.

When you were younger, if you are my age now, do you remember a Christian song called "Pass It On"? It starts out..."It only takes a spark to get a fire going, and soon all those around can warm up in its glowing..." So started my faith journey as I have called it now for the past 15 years.

As much as I would like to go on right now, I am going to stop for now. I don't want to make this too hard to read or follow along.

No comments: